Healthy Science/ Dark Chocolate Mint Cookie Ornament
Dark Chocolate Mint Cookie Ornament
Display this cookie on your Christmas tree for all to see!
|Prep Time: 2 hours & 15 minutes||Cook Time: 9 minutes||Servings: 30 cookies|
For Cookie Dough:
- ½ cup organic coconut sugar
- ½ cup grass-fed butter, melted
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups blanched almond flour, packed fine
- ½ cup coconut flour, do not pack
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 8 ounces of 80%+ dark chocolate
- 5-6 regular sized candy canes
- Parchment lined baking sheet
- Rolling pin
- Wooden spoon
- Plastic wrap
- 2 Star-shaped cookie cutters, large & small
- Ziplock bag
- Cookie dough needs to be refrigerated for at least 2 hours, or preferably overnight
- In a large bowl, add coconut sugar, melted butter, eggs, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Whisk until well combined.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients: almond flour, coconut flour, sea salt, and baking soda. Mix with a wooden spoon until dough is formed.
- Divide the dough in half, and form into balls or discs. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, or 1 hour in the freezer.
- Once ready to bake, line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Remove one of the balls of dough from the refrigerator, and place it on a sheet of parchment paper. Place another sheet of parchment on top, and roll out the dough until it’s ¼ inch thick.
- Remove the top layer of parchment. Cut out the dough with the large star-shaped cookie cutter. Using the smaller star-shaped cookie cutter, cut out the center of the large star-shaped cookies. Use a knife or spatula to transfer the cookies to the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the cookies for 9-11 minutes, until the edges are slightly golden brown. Once done baking, allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- While the cookies are cooling, prepare the mint chocolate topping ingredients. Begin with placing all the candy canes, unwrapped, in a large ziplock bag. Seal bag, and break candy canes by hitting them with a rolling pin. Continue breaking candy canes until the pieces are sprinkle-sized. Set aside.
- Next, microwave the dark chocolate, in a microwave-safe bowl, in 30-second intervals. Stir in between intervals. Continue stirring and microwaving until melted. About 2 minutes in total.
- Dip cooled cookies in dark chocolate. Dip until half of the cookie is covered in chocolate. Set dipped cookies on a wire rack. While the chocolate is still wet, sprinkle the prepared candy cane topping on the chocolate part of the cookie. Allow chocolate to harden.
- Once the chocolate has hardened, loop 5 inch long ribbons through the cookies, and tie, so they can act as Christmas tree ornaments. Enjoy!
Servings: 30 cookies
1 serving: 1 cookie
Carbohydrates: 10.8 g
Protein: 3 g
Fat: 11 g
Sat fat: 5.3 g
Sugar: 5.9 g
Added sugar: 5.5 g
Fiber: 2.75 g