Healthy Science/ Linzer Chia Jam Cookies
Linzer Chia Jam Cookies
Filled with chia seed jam, this classic holiday cookie packs in healthy fats, and fiber.
|Prep Time: 2 hours & 15 minutes||Cook Time: 9 minutes||Servings: 15 cookies|
For Cookie Dough:
- ½ cup organic coconut sugar
- ½ cup grass-fed butter, melted
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups blanched almond flour, packed fine
- ½ cup coconut flour, do not pack
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
For Chia Jam Filling:
- 2 cups frozen fruit, raspberries and blackberries are great choices
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Parchment lined baking sheet
- Rolling pin
- Wooden spoon
- Plastic wrap
- Rubber spatula
- Small saucepan
- Potato masher (optional)
- Cookie cutter:
- Large circle
- Small star, heart, gingerbread man (whatever you have on hand)
- Cookie dough needs to be refrigerated for at least 2 hours, or preferably overnight
- In a large bowl, add coconut sugar, melted butter, eggs, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Whisk until well combined.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients: almond flour, coconut flour, sea salt, and baking soda. Mix with a wooden spoon until dough is formed.
- Divide the dough in half, and form into balls or discs. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, or 1 hour in the freezer.
- Once ready to bake, line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Remove one of the balls of dough from the refrigerator, and place it on a sheet of parchment paper. Place another sheet of parchment on top, and roll out the dough until it’s ¼ inch thick.
- Remove the top layer of parchment. Cut out the dough with the large circle cookie cutter. Using the smaller star/heart/gingerbread shaped cookie cutter, cut out the center of the large circle cookies. For every cookie with a cutout center, prepare one without a cutout center. Use a knife or spatula to transfer the cookies to the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the cookies for 9-11 minutes, until the edges are slightly golden brown. Once done baking, allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- While the cookies are cooling, prepare the chia jam filling. Heat the fruit in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the fruit begins to break down and bubble. Using a fork or potato masher, mash fruit to your desired consistency.
- Stir in chia seeds and lemon juice until combined.
- Remove from the heat and let cool for 5 minutes. The jam will thicken as it cools. Store in a sealed container.
- Once cookies are cooled, spread jam on the cookies without a cutout center. Then layer the cookies with a cutout center on top of the jam-covered cookies.
- Serve and enjoy!
Servings: 15 cookies
1 serving: 1 cookie
Carbohydrates: 15 g
Protein: 5 g
Fat: 14.1 g
Sat fat: 3.8 g
Sugar: 8.8 g
Added sugar: 6.6 g
Fiber: 4.2 g