Red Beet Pancakes
“Breakfast beets” has a nice ring to it, doesn’t it? This dish will make your mouth and stomach dance with joy. Who said (root) vegetables can’t be eaten for breakfast? Not us!
|Prep Time: 5 minutes||Cook Time: 15 minutes||Servings: 8 pancakes|
- 2 small red beets
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons coconut oil, divided
- ¼ cup – ½ cup milk of choice (we used canned coconut milk)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups almond flour (can substitute with all-purpose flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 400˚F (200˚C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove stems from beets. Coat beets in a thin layer of coconut oil, about 1 tablespoon.
- Place beets on prepared baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes, or until easily pierced with a fork. If the fork goes through easily and smoothly, the beets are ready!
- Remove beets from the oven, allow to cool, and carefully remove skin. Transfer to a high-powered blender.
- Add ¼ cup milk and blend until smooth. Add milk up to ½ cup as needed.
- To the blender, add ¼ cup coconut oil, eggs, vanilla extract, honey, and salt. Blend until smooth.
- Add almond flour and baking powder, and pulse until just combined. Make sure to not over-blend.
- In a griddle or large pan over medium heat, melt the remaining 1 tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Pour ¼ cup batter at a time and cook for 2-4 minutes on each side, or until edges begin to turn golden.
- Garnish with desired toppings and enjoy!
1 serving (2 pancakes)
Carbohydrates: 19 g
Protein: 13 g
Fat: 47 g
Sat fat: 23 g
Sugar: 9.4 g
Added sugar: 4.3 g
Fiber: 6.7 g