Red Lentil Granola
Lentil granola…it’s a thing (or at least we’re making it a thing). And it’s certainly delicious! Using red lentils instead of green or brown will ensure the granola is crispy and achieves that perfect crunchy bite.
|Prep Time: 10 minutes||Cook Time: 60 minutes||Servings: 12|
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup red lentils
- ½ cup chopped nuts and/or seeds of your choosing (we used pepitas and almonds)
- ½ cup coconut flakes, unsweetened (optional)
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Sea salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 300˚F (150˚C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add lentils, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes, or until lentils are tender. Remove from heat and drain.
- Transfer drained lentils to the prepared baking sheet and spread out into an even layer. Transfer to refrigerator and cool for 10 minutes
- To a medium bowl, add nuts and seeds, coconut, maple syrup, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and a pinch of sea salt. Mix to combine.
- Add cooled lentils and mix until well-combined. Re-line the baking sheet.
- Transfer lentil mixture to the baking sheet and spread into an even layer. Bake for 60 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Let cool and serve as desired.
Nutrition Info (with coconut flakes):
1 serving (¼ cup)
Carbohydrates: 16 g
Protein: 5.2 g
Fat: 7 g
Sat fat: 2.6 g
Sugar: 4.4 g
Added sugar: 4 g
Fiber: 2.8 g