Roasted Bell Pepper Nigiri with Red Quinoa Sticky Rice
Swap out your salmon sushi with roasted bell peppers for a veggie-packed dish. This sushi recipe is easy to make, and will be a hit for both fish-eaters and meat-eaters.
|Prep Time: 40 minutes||Cook Time: 1 hour||Servings: 4 (16 pieces)|
Roasted Bell Pepper Nigiri
- 2 bell peppers, red and orange
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
Red Quinoa Sticky Rice
- 2 cups sushi rice
- 1 cup cooked red quinoa
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 ½ tablespoons organic sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- To make Red Quinoa Sticky Rice: Rinse sushi rice until the water is clear. Soak the rice in 3 cups of water for 30 minutes. Bring the rice and water to boil. Cover with lid, and simmer for 20 minutes until all the water is absorbed. Remove from heat, keep covered for 10 minutes.
- Place rice vinegar, sugar and salt in a saucepan. Heat until ingredients are combined. Remove from heat, and let mixture come to room temperature.
- Mix rice vinegar mixture with sushi rice by gently tossing rice.
- Cook red quinoa according to instructions on the package. Incorporate 1 cup of cooked red quinoa into the rice mixture. Toss until rice and quinoa are fully incorporated.
- Once the quinoa rice mixture is cooled, form oblong shaped balls with damp hands. Each ball should be about 1 inch in length. This will be the base for the nigiri.
- To make Roasted Bell Pepper Nigiri: Preheat the oven to 450°F (232°C).
- Slice bell peppers in half and deseed. Place peppers on a parchment-lined baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes, or until skin is charred and peeling.
- Remove peppers from the oven. Let cool. Once cool to the touch, peel off all skin. Slice into 4-5 long pieces per bell pepper half.
- Place bell pepper slices on rice balls. Sprinkle sesame seeds on bell pepper for garnish.
- Serve with tamari!
1 serving (4 pieces)
Carbohydrates: 44 g
Protein: 5 g
Fat: 4 g
Sat fat: 0 g
Sugar: 10 g
Added sugar: 4.8 g
Fiber: 2 g