Vegan California Roll with Black Quinoa Sticky Rice
Allergic to shellfish? Or maybe you don’t eat crab? We have the perfect crab substitute for you. This spicy “crab” sushi roll will rock and roll your world.
|Prep Time: 45 minutes||Cook Time: 30 minutes||Servings: 1 (8 pieces)|
- 2 blocks of baked tofu/ 1 package of store-bought baked tofu
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha
Black Quinoa Sticky Rice (recipe only uses about ¼ of this)
- 2 cups sushi rice
- 1 cup cooked black quinoa
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 ½ tablespoons organic sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 nori wrappers
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 avocado
- Sushi bamboo mat
- Box grater
- Plastic wrap
- To make Black Quinoa Sticky Rice: Rinse sushi rice until the water is clear. Soak the rice in 3 cups of water for 30 minutes. Bring the rice and water to boil. Cover with lid, and simmer for 20 minutes until all the water is absorbed. Remove from heat, keep covered for 10 minutes.
- Place rice vinegar, sugar and salt in a saucepan. Heat until ingredients are combined. Remove from heat, and let mixture come to room temperature.
- Mix rice vinegar mixture with sushi rice by gently tossing rice.
- Cook black quinoa according to instructions on the package. Incorporate 1 cup of cooked black quinoa into the rice mixture. Toss until rice and quinoa are fully incorporated.
- To make “Crab” Filling: Using a box grater, grate both blocks of tofu. Use the fine grater side so that the texture is similar to crab meat.
- Mix grated tofu with mayonnaise and Sriracha.
- Line the bamboo mat with a piece of plastic wrap. Place half a sheet of toasted nori sheet on the plastic wrap. Place quinoa rice mixture on nori with wet hands. Pat down with your hands until the quinoa rice is evenly spread on the nori. Sprinkle sesame seeds on the quinoa rice. Flip over the nori sheet so the quinoa rice side is face down on the plastic wrap. Scoop “crab” filling in a line near the middle of the nori. Roll tightly.
- Slice an avocado in half, remove pit, and peel off skin. Thinly slice avocado, from side to side. Fan out slices on your cutting surface so that the length of the fan is the length of the sushi roll.
- Using a long knife, lift up the avocado slices, and place slices on top of the roll. Place a sheet of plastic wrap on top of the avocado, and place sushi mat on top of plastic wrap. Firmly press mat to secure the avocado pieces onto the roll. Remove mat.
- Slice the roll through the plastic wrap with a sharp, damp knife. Wipe off the knife between slices on a wet towel.
- Remove plastic wrap and serve with tamari and sesame seeds!
1 serving (8 pieces)
Carbohydrates: 40 g
Protein: 22 g
Fat: 40 g
Sat fat: 6 g
Sugar: 13 g
Added sugar: 8 g
Fiber: 11 g